Friday, January 05, 2007

Just some random thoughts.....

I frequent a scrapbooking website EVERYDAY :) Recently there was a post about a Christmas card that someone recieved from a family member with a picture of the sender's daughters at the grave of their brother who had died 3 years ago. It raised the question on if people thought it was "appropriate".

I have to be honest --before Kaitlyn died my answer would have been "YES" very weird -- but now --not so weird. It is my greatest fear that Kaitlyn will be forgotten -- I want her to ALWAYS be remembered. I notice that I go out of my way to include her in conversations. When her friends come over I make sure that they have pictures of her, I gave everyone windchimes for Christmas as a rememberance of her. I totally get where that mom was coming from -- this is her reality -- her son is in a grave BUT he is still her son. So who knows what I will be sending out in three years for Christmas cards -- My only hope that Kaitlyn's memory is still strong in everyone's mind.

The post also had conversation about grieving parents -- We WANT to talk about our children, we appreciate the random phone call asking how we are doing. A card in the mail touches us in a way that you will never understand (hopefully).

Now for an update of sorts -- I went to speak to the prinicipal at Kaitlyn's school today -- I want to preface this by saying that I think he is a wonderful prinicpal -- he showed us tremendous support when Kaitlyn died and he had always been there for Jeremy -- BUT today I felt somewhat sad and disappointed when I left --

We are able to put the tree up in Kaitlyn's memory BUT he does not want a plaque anywhere because "where would they draw the line" he even compared it to the crosses on the side of the road -- at first I said I understood BUT since I have had time to really think about it I have to wonder if Kaitlyn had been a star athelete or an honor student would his stance had been different -- does her life not mean as much because her death was related to drugs --does she not matter ?????? Will other parents "complain" because she used drugs???

My son thinks the reason is not so much the fact that she was not a "star" at school but it is the way she died -- they don't want to draw attention to it because that would be admitting that there is a problem here -- Jeremy's word were -- "until they are ready to deal with the obvious drug problem here more kids are going to die and they will keep pushing it under the rug." Pretty smart kid I have there.

My question to Mr Murrel is -- Is Kaitlyn less of a person because she died of drugs instead of something else -- is her death less tragic -- is her friends grief not real because of the way she died -- do they miss her less ????

I guess I have a decision to make -- let this go and plant the tree or fight for my daughter to be remembered for more than just the way she died................................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, it does NOT make her less of us a person, or less of an angel to be missed, but sadly, Jeremy is right....the schools dont want to draw attention to it. My senior year we lost 5 seniors. 1 drowned on a field trip, 4 died in drug or alchohol related accidents. Wanna guess which ONE death we were "allowed" to talk about at school? The other four just didnt happen. The problem didnt exist. And that was 12 years ago. Not a damn thing has changed.

Mere said...

I think the principal's behavior is RIDICULOUS and you should be able to put what you want there as a memorial to Kaitlyn. If he doesn't let you, just put an orange ribbon around the tree instead, so everyone knows it's for Kaitlyn!!

Jill said...

Cheri-
I think I've mentioned to you before that there is a outdoor playhouse at my kids' school that was built in honor of a little girl who was hit by a car in front of the school. There is no plaque or way to identify it, yet I believe every child in the school knows why it is there & it is many years old.

Whether you fight for the plaque or not, it will be a memory for her friends and for many, many years to come. And even if the words aren't written out, she will be remembered.